Friday, October 22, 2010

Ohio - Campbell Hill (-IN)

The first highpoint visited was looking like the most easily accessible of all being that I'm based in Ann Arbor, MI.
However, one needs to consider that it's the top of a pretty minor hill, but amusingly located at an earlier NORAD base (North American aerospace defense command), and now commonly still behind closed gates when the currently located school/career center is not open. This meant that access was not exactly guaranteed.
They offer open hours especially on Saturdays, however arriving on a Sunday I was not there on one of those times.
Further complications involved the GPS wanting to direct me to a road on the backside of the site, since the roads within the site was not loaded in the gps, and thus it lead me to another point it felt was closest to the exact coordinates entered (memo to self: enter road address when possible in a car gps!)

Far from giving up though I noted that one of the fenced gates was actually not closed and there was a grounds keeper working the area on his 4-wheeler. He was kind enough to allow me to reach the elusive high point, provided I'd be out before he would leave.

Agreeing to that deal I could enter the area and after a short walk I arrived at the highpoint. with a day of mixed showers at least it was not raining most of the times I was outside of the car.

That was the first highpoint for me and as it turned out the highest of two high points visited on that day, 15th of August, 2009.

Stats:
State: Ohio
High point: Campbell Hill
Elevation: 1549 ft (472 m)
Date: 15th August, 2010
Total elevation to date: 1549 ft (472 m)
Access: Drive-up
Difficulty rating (of 10): 3
Potential Difficulties: Closed down ex-military site. GPS not having roads in closed area.

No comments:

Post a Comment