Monday, October 25, 2010

(CO-NB-) Kansas: Mount Sunflower

The highpoint of Kansas is similarly to Nebraska nu much of a mountain, but rather jsut the highest point in a relatively flat state.
I knew that the approach would consist largely of countryside unpaved roads, so when the GPS led me to smaller and smaller roads I was not too deterred at first, once I started seeing that the gps indicated roads to the sides which was clearly nothing going out in cornfields etc, and I also got close to getting stuck with m Chrysler Town and Country) in some mud on a very small road, I decided to start looking at google maps and satellite views when finding my own more suitable way. The car of choice deserves a special mention, I had booked an economy car since I would drive myself want wanted decent gas mileage, however when I arrived at he renter location on Denver airport, they had no economy cars, neither did they have any intermediate, compact, fullsize etc etc, the smallest thing they had was a mini-van... and thus I was driving around on dirt roads in a minivan...



Eventually I made it to the HP being called Mt. Sunflower just as the sun was setting. The very nice landowner drove up in his pickup and offer to shed some light on the highpoint and take pictures if I wanted, My grateful thanks goes out to any persons and landowners being as open and friendly as that!




Stats:
State: Kansas
High point: Mount Sunflower
Elevation: 4039 ft (1231 m)
Date: 26 September, 2010
Total elevation to date: 38145 ft (11627 m)
Access: Drive up
Difficulty rating (of 10): 3
Potential Difficulties: GPS-trouble, very many unpaved roads of varying accessibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment