Friday, November 26, 2010

(NJ-) Connecticut:Mt Frissell/South Slope (-MT-NH-RI)

The Connecticut high point is different from most others in the fact that it is not a point inside the state as a stand alone peak, instead it is a slope on a peak that is located in another state (Massachusetts).


The trail was nice mostly with some scrambling parts with large inclination. After getting to the point of the start of the hike I realized I was lucky since the road was closed for the winter at the state line just meters away from where I needed to park.
The start of the hike ended up a bit dumb though since I thought I came to the point form south, but the gps had actually led me around to arrive from the north. This prompted me to set of in the wrong direction knowing I should have started to the left of the road coming form south. I even used a digital compass which seemed correct (looking at the south needle interpreting it as the north)... needless to say I felt quite dumb for not whipping out the ream compass in my bag which I am much more used to. After realizing the mistake and backtracking about 2 miles I headed out on the right path which was now setting in sunlight so I got good use of my head lamps.


To make the high point even more confusing there is a register not on the high point but on the peak! whihc is in Massachusets, and to make things worse it is even marked with the high point altitude rather than the actual altitude of Mt. Frissell.



A cairn made by hikers and a easy to miss state border marker between CT and MA gives the location away for the real Connecticut high point.



Stats:
State: Connecticut
High point: Mt Frissell/South Slope
Elevation: 2380 ft (725 m)
Date: , 2010
Total elevation to date: 60753 ft (18518 m)
Access: Trail, class 1
Difficulty rating (of 10): 4
Potential Difficulties: Road closures, finding the high point rather than the summit in the wrong state.

No comments:

Post a Comment